The energy for creating new opportunities comes from the tension we feel between an inspired vision for the future and our current reality. When we feel stuck or unclear about our careers, often it's because we are either compromising our vision or denying reality--sometimes it's a little of both.
This week in our Career Clarity Camp we're exploring what we need to help us thrive.
We're considering some 30 day trials, side projects, stretch assignments, courses, volunteering options etc. After a long week of 'slog' to overcome my procrastination I'm finally free to give this some attention.
Interestingly (and perhaps thankfully) I had already begun down the enrichment/ visioning/ project path but I'm also inspired to trial a couple of other things that have been lingering in the back of my mind for some time. So here are my ideas for projects and experiments:
- I'm already finding time each day to draw. This has become an evening ritual to relax after a busy day. Uploading to FlickR (something each day) is a driver but not an onerous one - if I don't make it, I don't!
- I've applied for a small community-based contract - I if I get it, I know I'll love working outside the regimes of formal education. I can see opportunities for REAL outcomes and opportunities for creativity within it.
- I'm instigating a blog for creative kids activities - I'll need input to make it sustainable
- I'm going to have a go at creating a multimodal e-book publication and will use the next month to research production options. The new Apple releases are very timely, and
- I'm going to test the water to host a monthly conversational gathering for people I know think and/or work on the boundaries of or outside the mainstream. I see it as an opportunity to affirm non-conventional thinking, generate and share new ideas etc. Now for a name ....
“Before we can undo a knot we must loosen it to understand its structure;
pulling on it only makes it tighter.”
CC FlickR image & Tracy Luff cited in Kate's Photo Diary